Monday, December 14, 2009

When knittingbrow does forensic knitting...

I enjoy knitting in public with friends. Tonight's knitting was great fun. There were 10 people knitting at Cup O Joe/Lounge around a big table. Each of us were working on a variety of projects and laughing a great deal.

A few weeks back, I posted about a KAL for the Maine Morning Mitts, by Clara Parkes. (Did you know I met her at Knitters Connection in Columbus. She gave a great talk about "dating yarn" before you make a commitment. She was wonderful to speak with and to make sure that she had everything she needed. I've yet to pick up her newest book (The Knitter's Book of Wool) but look forward to it. If it's as good as the Knitter's Book of Yarn, it will be amazing.) MMMs are from Knitter's Book of Yarn. KnittingSavantDarla (KSD)joined KnitMeredith and I the week following our start. This is KSD's first time using dpns. She's doing well, overall. She's been running into the common problems of beginning with dpns. The one that got her tonight was a dropped st between needles. See the picture?

KSD's dropped st
Dropped st. I had to drop down for her and pick the st up. She made up for the st a few rows later. It gets better. Turn up the volume (as the audio didn't record well)



Did you like that gasp?
Have no fear, I did spit splice the yarn back together. She continued knitting without further incident and even learned how to M1R and M1L. She's a good knitter. Here's a close-up of one of her beverages for the evening.

KSD's martini
I sure hope that she'll be willing to knit with me again. :)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I have never had more fun knitting. You taught me so much in such a short time, too. I feel bad when you don't have time to work on your own projects, but not badly enough to stop you from your tutorials. Thanks again!

Cat Herself said...

OMG I am laughing so hard! I needed that laugh! I miss you guys! I'm off work today and hopefully will be all better and healthy by Friday, when, hopefully, we can knit together again!

And you're right - Darla is amazing at knitting already - how does she do that?

knittingbrow said...

well, Cat...I wondered if Darla's knitting savant-ness was a result of the beverage, but alas, no. She was only knitting coffee during the first few lessons.

Jeremy said...

*sigh* I never make the blog. I am teh suk.