Sunday, November 29, 2009

Wave for Joy Shawl

My family celebrates Christmas & Thanksgiving together on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. "Thanksmas" is when the family gets together to eat, drink and be merry and to exchange holiday gifts. Since I've been knitting, I've tried to knit my gift for my sibling. This is my sister-in-law Joy who was glad to receive the Joy Wave Shawl. We talk about the gift in this vlog.



I really like it when someone appreciates the hand knitted item. This is a picture of her opening the shawl.
Opening the Joy Wave

She really likes the shawl. She wore it all day. Here are two pictures of her enjoying Thanksmas while wearing the shawl. It makes me feel great to see someone so enthusiastic about their gift.
Joy wearing her Shawl Joy Wave

I discovered a broken stitch right after the filming of the video.
Joy Wave Shawl broken st I used a duplicate stitch with some leftover yarn to resolve the issue. I made certain to catch the new yarn several times on each side of the broken stitch so the shawl wouldn't unravel.

The pattern and detail photos
Wave for Joy detail 3 Wave for Joy detail Wave for Joy detail 2
This is based on the Feather and Fan Stitch or Old Shale taken from the Barbara Walker Second Treasury.
Cast on 88 sts in color 1, K 8 rows for the set up (4 garter ridges).
Color 1
Row 1 (right side): Knit
Row 2: Knit
Switch to Color 2
Row 3: K 8 sts*(K2tog) 4 times, (YO, K1) 8 times, (K2tog) 4 times: repeat from * to last 8 sts, K
Row 4: K 8 sts, Purl to last 8 sts, K8
Repeat these 4 rows, moving up the other color until there is enough yarn for for 8 k rows (4 garter ridges) using color of your choice. BO loosely.
Block

I used a size 9 needle.
I wanted a garter st boarder so I always knit the first and last 8 sts.
This shawl took 330 yards of Classic Alpaca in Color 1603 (Cowboy Blue)
and approximately 330 yards of Noro Tidiori in Color 1

I just realized that I didn't take final measurements after I blocked the shawl. Joy, If you read this, can you please put a comment and let me know the final dimensions?

No comments: