Wednesday, July 27, 2011

10 stitch

knitSB & I are going to be uncles for the first time on his side of the family. Baby is due in a few weeks so what do knitters do? We knit baby stuff!
Here's the progress knitSB made on the 10 stitch blanket for the baby.



He's using this Plymouth superwash yarn.



The price is $29 per 420 yard skein. I think this worsted weight yarn would make wonderful socks.

The LYS staff wound it for him and used an electric winder. Why would anyone use an electric winder? It is too tight and didn't wind well. Can you see the prolapse portion of the center-pull ball? And that is the bottom of the ball.



Sigh. I would have rewound the skein to fix the error and relax the tension.

I bought some organic cotton to make a simple washcloth and a baby toy. I've not started them yet. Details later.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Congratulations! You guys make WONDERFUL uncles.

yarmando said...

I always wanted to try this: after a shop winds a ball with the electric winder, make them do it again. I've found at home that, on the second winding when there isn't tension from the swift, the ball is more relaxed.

Of course, that means you're either adding or subtracting twist.

Deb said...

Congrats on becoming Uncles! The 10-stitch Blanket looks intriguing. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing, I found it on Ravelry.

Pam said...

Congratulations on your upcoming unclehood! :)