Monday, July 11, 2011

Visiting The Columbus Art Museum

Photo Steve and I visited the Columbus Museum of Art on Sunday. Have you visited lately? Now is your chance because the museum is free July and August.

The current exhibit, Street Talk and Spiritual Matters: Aminah's Mt. Vernon Avenue is filled with colorful and emotionally charged images inspired by Aminah's childhood neighborhood. Using various media, the artist uses her "voice" to immortalize the impact community has to its residents. I'm a fan of her work. The layers and layers of cloth, buttons, paint, paper, thread and found objects bring me close to the work and stir a desire to learn more.

This exhibit has some pieces never seen before from the 1992 book, The Teachings. Individually these pieces emote a deep understanding of the Teachings. Together, the pieces beautifully depict a spiritual life across time. I was disappointed the Museum Shop didn't have copies of the book. I reserved it from CML.

Beautifully displayed, this exhibit highlights a local hero who uses her art to make people aware of important matters close to home.

I was delighted to see mock-ups and drafts of her book A Street Called Home. As an artist, I really value seeing another artist's process. I would love to see Aminah's studio. I could only imagine. :)

I would recommend this exhibit. Tell them I sent you.

No comments: