Sunday, October 23, 2011

Moms are Knitworthy

Moms are Knitworthy by knittingbrow
Moms are Knitworthy, a photo by knittingbrow on Flickr.

My Mom was in the hospital and is still under medical supervision. I won't go into details on the blog but we're waiting for her skilled team of doctors to get together and discuss the options. (Thanks for the good thoughts to her and those caring for her.)

Last week, my sister sent me this photo of Mom wearing a shrug I designed (& knit) for her 5 or 6 years ago. It was my first knitting using my own pattern. She wanted something to keep her arms and shoulders warm. I could do that! So I bought 10 balls of Noro Silk Garden in a blue color way I knew Mom would like. I basically knit a long scarf with a ribbing at each end and seamed closed some of the arm. (Why I didn't knit more of it in a tube is beyond me.) I finished it to the measurements and gave it to her.

She liked the colors. But I didn't see her wear it. A year ago, I saw it in the top of her closet and asked if she ever wore it. She had but it didn't fit her right. After a short discussion, I knew I could fix it. A bit of alteration later, we have a garment that could be worn comfortably.

Seeing Mom in this after being in the hospital makes me very happy.

Honestly, I think some of my sisters told Mom I didn't think she was knit-worthy because I never saw her wear the shrug even after I fixed it. So she pulls it out of the closet to wear every once in awhile when I visit. That could be true. Regardless, I think Moms are knit-worthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Joanne said...

I didn't tell her that but I do know that Mom sure enjoys her shrug.

Darla said...

Oh, Gerald, you are so sweet! And I'm sure your Mom *wants* to wear that shrug. It looks perfect!