Monday, July 28, 2008

My first "sweater"

I call it a "sweater," but really, it's just the pieces to the sweater.

I found this great book at the Library called "Two Sticks and a String" by Kerry Ferguson. While flipping through it, I discovered the pattern called the Easy Mohair Sweater. It's a nice design. Only 4 pieces to knit.



I know enough about flat pattern design to be dangerous. As I was knitting the sleeves, I didn't think that the sleeve caps would fit into the armhole. After I finished the sleeves and tried to fit them into the armhole, sure enough, they didn't fit. I had to tick back the front and back of the sweater to correct the error. If I remember correctly, the yarn is Touch Yarns two ply mohair/blend. I purchased the yarn at Susan Yarns. Did I mention that I started this sweater almost 6 years ago? I don't know if the sweater will fit me anymore.

Tell me about your first sweater.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't scare me like that!!!

I'm hoping to cast on for my first sweater before the end of this year....

thankfully I'll have all my knitting moms/aunties/nanas/uncles around to watch me carefully and supervise...

hopefully it will be an enjoyable experience??? (otherwise i'll be a lifetime sock knitter!!)

Spiminarian said...

The sweater is beautiful! Don't throw it away - especially as it's your first project. Find someone to put it together for you. People at my LYS do that all the time. :)

I'm working on my first sweater right now...the crocheted Philosopher's Coat http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/CrochetCoat.htm I've decided my next sweater (FrouFrou from Stitch 'n Bitch: Happy Hooker) will be just a bit easier. I've had to decrease the pattern several times (the bust on the sweater is 56 inches...I'm somewhere around 32...) and in general it's just been a difficult, tiring pattern. I'm sure the final product will be beautiful, though, which is why I'm working so hard to finish it before school starts.